Thursday, January 19, 2012

An Oriole Visits Me!

Sadly, the oriole is only visiting me on my drawing paper.  I wish one would come by in real life!

Here's the beginning stage of a little experiment I'm trying.  I was thinking of going to a class late this month at the Desert Museum in Tuscon.  The class is called "Dynamic Duo" and it's about pairing graphite drawing with soft bodied acrylic washes.  The effect the instructor achieved in her example is of a beautiful drawing carefully hand colored.

I know I would enjoy the class as well as benefit from it, but when I added up all the costs - tuition, plane, lodging, etc. - I just couldn't justify it right now.  So I'm trying to capture that look on my own.

I began with a graphite drawing of an oriole on a branch.  The Stonehenge drawing paper is stuck to a piece of Crescent Perfect Mount board so that it will stand up to the paint.  My next step was to mask the bird and branch with the same masking fluid I use for watercolors, then I laid in some background washes with thinned Liquitex Soft Body Acrylics.  So here's where I am so far, and so far, I like the look.

No comments:

Post a Comment