Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Not-So-Fierce Puma

I've been working sporadically on some pieces for my new etsy shop and here's one of them - a puma head.  As with all my animals, fierceness seems to be totally lacking.  But she's kind of cute.

I didn't texture the polymer clay nor did I try to color the puma with different colors of clay.  I sculpted her entirely from a cinnamon color clay then painted the details.  I like the look but it's time consuming.  My intent is to make a few animal heads like this - I did a wolf a week or so ago - so that I can replicate them.  I'll make a mold from this one then I can make more and paint them. I'll add the glass eyes to each one individually.

Because of the painting, each one will still be one-of-a-kind even though they're from a mold.  And because I'll make the mold over an original sculpture of mine the piece will be entirely original.  I guess I could market them as numbered editions.  Hmmm.  I'll have to remember that - it's a good idea.

My other motivation for this piece is the subject.  Earlier in mhy polymer clay adventure I found sculpting cats impossible.  Now I'm determined to get back to it and get good at it.  Funny, I had the same experience with drawing and painting cats - they were very difficult in the beginning, more so than other animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment