Friday, March 1, 2013

It's All Relative

 After painting quite a few 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" paintings I felt it would be nice to paint a little bigger.  So this one is 5" x 7"!  Still small, but it seemed big while I was painting it.  The area is actually four times that of the ACEOs.

My husband and I used to have three donkeys.  One was a BLM (Bureau of Land Management), the second was her daughter, and the third was her grandson who was only 2 months old when we got him.  I still fondly remember all three of them, but especially Rodney when he was a baby with his silky curly mane.  We had horses too, but I always preferred the donkeys - don't know why.

So I thought it would be fun to paint one.  This first painting is the progress I had made by the end of the first of the two days I worked on it.

One thing I like so much about these little paintings is that I feel free to choose whatever subject matter I like, and I often choose to portray the world as I would like it to be rather than the way it really is.  So in this fantasy world, donkeys have big days, squirrels wind wildflowers in their manes, and foxes kiss them fondly.  Needless to say, this was a joy to paint.  I hope it finds a good home.  And if it doesn't sell on eBay when I list it, that's fine too as all of these little creatures are more than welcome to stay here!


No comments:

Post a Comment