Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Frog Bits

The pieces of the frog doll are now ready to paint.  On the last paper clay piece I worked on - the two ducks and the beggar frog - I gessoed the paper clay before I painted it.  The painted surface turned out a bit rough and I figure there were two possible causes for that.  One is that I didn't sand it with a fine enough grit sandpaper.  I think I didn't go beyond 220.  But the other possibility is that the moisture in the gesso may have slightly softened - and roughened - the surface of the dry paper clay.
So this time I made a couple of changes.  First, I sanded with 220 grit, then 400 grit, and finally 600 grit.  When I was done sanding it was quite smooth and I wanted to keep it that way.  So instead of using gesso as an undercoat for the painting I used Krylon spray Workable Fixatif.  Once the fixative was dry, the surface was still very smooth.  So I've got quite a nice base for the painting.
The thing I liked so much about the gesso was that it was such a nice surface to paint on.  Floating was a dream!  We'll just have to see how it goes on this surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment