Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Three Bears

 
I sculpted this bear family right around the time I made the fox.  I guess you could say I was in my "glass flowers and leaves" period as I've used them on the bears as I did on the fox.  The process was the same, and I find the results charming.
 
The mother bear is 6" long and the standing cub is 3" long - rather small, but a size typical of my work.
 
All three of these pieces are hollow.  The way I do that is to sculpt the head, neck, and body from a solid piece of clay then attach the legs which are also solid.  I then slice the bear in half, hollow it out, and stick it back together again by scoring the cut edges and painting generously with clay slip.  I let it sit for a while and then smooth the seam.  If I have to, I add a tiny "snake" of clay over the seam to smooth it better.  This method works well for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment