Thursday, April 28, 2016

Michael DeMeng's Embossed Metal Class


A few weeks ago I went to the "Art is You" retreat in Santa Rosa, California, and took Michael DeMeng's workshop on metal embossing.  The workshop kit included the sheet of metal, a wood backing board, and a small set of embossing tools.  We also had access to many of his tools and paints.  We were asked to bring some found objects for our pieces.

Michael gave us instruction on the embossing and on applying the embossed metal to the wooden panel.  But we were on our own for design - both the embossed design and the overall design of our pieces.  This is the way I like it.  I value pieces from this type of workshop much more than the pieces where everyone in the class creates the same piece.

Michael was a very good teacher and I'd definitely take another of his workshops.

Ironically, the only found object I used from the collection that I brought with me was the metal bee bead (from Burt's Bees packaging, if I remember correctly) at the lower left.  The key, porcelain bird, and rusting faucet handle were elements I bought there in one of the shops in the trade show area.

I thoroughly enjoyed this class and am very glad I went!


No comments:

Post a Comment