Monday, January 8, 2018

Fiona the Good - path to completion


Here's the Fiona collage portrait that I just finished.  A few of the stops along the way are in the photos below.

The colored florals are from and old David Austin rose catalog.  The weedy looking things in the upper left corner are part of a paper napkin.  By the way, it took me using napkins several times before I realized that they are multiple plies of thing tissue.  You have to peel them apart and only use the top layer or you'll have a lot of trouble with the gluing.

The colors in the background are washes of Golden fluid acrylics.

For the deer in the background, I drew them on small pieces of tracing paper then transferred the outlines to the piece.  I filled them in with white gesso, but used a few thin coats - I wanted for a hint of the background text to show through giving them an ethereal look.  Finally, I painted over the gesso with washes of the fluid acrylics.

I did the line work around the edge with a liner brush and black fluid acrylics. To set off the edge outside the line work and also to help integrate the colors of the deer, I washed a bit of Light Burnt Umber over parts of the edges.

I felt I needed another bit of florals from the catalog, so I added it.  The sprays of leaves are cut from green areas of photos in the catalog, and the stems I painted with a liner brush.

The finishing touches are the white lettering and the white dots, as well as the row of gold dots around the edges.  (Can't resist a bit of gold!)




No comments:

Post a Comment