Friday, January 21, 2011
The Fairy Home Gets a Roof
In preparationn for the roof, I shaped a mound at the front to suggest a little porch roof over the entry hole. Apoxie Sculpt worked very well for this purpose. It stuck to the gourd and was easy to work with.
I thought I had sugar pine cones that I remembered ordering on e-bay a few years ago. When I found the cones they were smaller than I thought, and so the cone "petals" for the individual shingles were also smaller than I expected.
I attached the pine cone shingles with E6000 glue, choosing that glue because it is thick and doesn't run very much. But I needed thick blobs of glue because the back surface of the shingles was so uneven. Inevitably, some of the glue dripped and shows as shiny clear blobs. I'm hoping that finishing the roof with satin varnish will help disguise the glue by covering its shininess.
Since the top of the gourd narrows so much, I used narrower shingles here - the narrower ones that I was able to snap off at the base of the pine cones. This gave me longer shingles, so the upper rows can be farther apart.
When I was done with the roof, I was disappointed with it. Visually, it seemed too small. Then I remembered another wild flower from my youth - the May Apple.
For strength, I used wire mesh between the upper and lower clay layers of the leaves and wire in the stems. When I've used wire before it's been frustrating because the clay doesn't stick to it. This time, I used electrical wire which is covered with plastic. And for the stem, I wrapped three lengths of wire together - for the two leaves and the flower - with florist tape. The clay stuck and it cured just fine at 265 degrees. I'll use this technique in the future for armatures.