Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sylvianna in her finished WildWood Abode

the front view
This has been a long and complicated project.  But I took it slow, paid attention at each step of the way, and always tried to do my best.  I think all the work and concentration paid off because I'm quite happy with the end product.

I call it "WildWood Abode."  I would like to continue with similar pieces - fantastical woodland abode gourds with fairies - and perhaps create a series.  This was really a lot of fun and a creative challenge.

What I liked best about the process is that it wasn't pre-planned and flowed smoothly.  Of course I had an initial concept, but that was about it.  One part simply led to the next step.  The biggest surprise for me was the mulberry bark skirt.  I would never have thought of it, but as I was looking for something else, I ran across this piece of bark that I ordered from a silk fiber supply place on a lark and lo and behold! it found a perfect use.
one side - I really like the fern!
 I've commented at various steps along the way, so it's time to just let the photos speak for themselves.

the back - I think the name plaque is
an important quality  touch.

the other side - the little hole
 lets you peek inside.

the inside with the roof top removed - here you can
see the three rabbits, the fairies legs, and the
"nesting material."

here's a close-up of the fairy - hmmm.  She needs a name.
How about "Sylvianna," a somewhat fancy name
using a root from the Latin meaning "forest."

1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful! I feel like I want to crawl in there with them in their lovely world. Great attention to detail.