Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Back to Mick

It's been just about a week since I last worked on this painting of my cat Mick.  And at this stage of the painting it's getting dicey.

Generally speaking, I want to work the quilt before the cat since, with the exception of the fold in the foreground, it's either behind or under Mick.

I was perplexed about how to start, but decided on just jumping in with the patterns on the fabric.  At first, I was working one section at a time, but then I switched to working all the patches of one fabric then proceeding to another.  After working on it for a while I formed a plan of attack which is this: do the patterns with NuPastel, shade and highlight to shape the folds with Rembrandts, go back and reinforce the patterns here and there with Rembrandts.  When I get back to work on it tomorrow that's how I'll proceed and I'll see how it goes.

I think one of the challenges will be keeping Mick from getting lost in all that pattern.  That's one of the reasons that I'll be leaving a few parts of the quilt with very little pattern, specifically in the deep folds on the left and in the upper right area.

By the way, it was great to get back to working on velour paper after my ventures onto other papers over the last week!

No comments:

Post a Comment