Monday, June 13, 2011

Mick's Finished Portrait

Mick's portrait is finished now, and I'm happy with it.  Except that now that I look at the photo, I see that maybe the light patch of fabric in the shadows to the left of Mick should be a little darker.  I may correct that - we'll see.  I'll have to think about it a little more.  It seems about the same value as the similar patch to the right of his shoulder.  So the question is, should they be the same?  Hmmmm.

Anyway, the major change I made from last time was on the right edge of the back of his head and neck.  Previously, there was too little distinction between the cat and the quilt.  Lost edges are fine - good, even - but there was a tan patch of fabric that made Mick's shape seem strange.  Oh, I also did more work on his tail and added a few bright highlight hairs here and there on his back.

Then Shelley took a look and thought he wasn't sufficiently grounded on the left so I darkened the shadows right under him.

I had lots of doubts about this piece all along the way, but now I'm pleased with the final result.  And, yes, I would tackle a quilt again!

No comments:

Post a Comment