Tuesday, July 5, 2011
Light at the End of the Tunnel
Getting the angles right at the bottom - not just the edge of the carpet, but also the lines dividing the planks in the wood flooring was important. At first I tried a "scientific" approach working with my photo of the carpet sample at an angle. But, not only was it complicated, but it was doomed to failure because I took liberties with the carpet pattern when I did my drawing. So in the end, I just drew in various lines until I thought I had it right.
Wow! That carpet was a lot of work! I drew the pattern for the rest of it on my original drawing then enlarged it and transferred it to the paper. That chore alone took a couple of hours.
Then there was the pastel phase. At first, I tried working with darker colors but realized pretty quickly that that approach wasn't successful. So I continued the original colors then glazed over the part in shadow, first with the dark turquoise that's in the carpet then with a dark brown.
Next was the wood floor and the carpet fringe, working with a little NuPastel then switching to the softer Rembrandts. There's still work to do there, but this is a good start. Then I strengthened the colors in the sun-lit part of the carpet with Rembrandts and added the dark green outlines. I want to lighten the background color a bit. And I may darken the shadow part with more glazing, but I'll see what I think once the rest is lightened.
Aside from that, I'm ready to get back to the cat - clearly the most fun part! I'm not sure what to name this painting. Two possibilities are "The Red Mouse" or "An Easy Truce."