Saturday, September 7, 2013
Mousie Mouse Bits
Today I painted the head, hands, and feet. It's so true that things happen in their own time. I made these stoneware pieces back in June while I was at the NIADA conference. I finally fired them a few weeks ago. And during that whole time, there was a fretting spot in the back of my mind concerned with how I would add color to them.
I thought of acrylic, or oils, or pastel dust followed by fixative and none of them seemed quite right. But today I just plunged in - finally! I got out the wool that I will use for felting the body, because I have to match the head, hands, and feet colors to the wool. And I decided to take the path of least resistance, which I considered to be the acrylic paints.
I worked mainly with a small beat-up round bristle brush and a dabbing motion. Except I used a nice synthetic round for the eyes, a synthetic flat for the nose which I shaded darker at the bottom, and a liner for the mouth. It worked fairly well. The stoneware is very textured, and the color looks nice and soft.
Because I knew the eyes wouldn't be really shiny, I added painted highlights. For a sealer, I used brush-on acrylic varnish - gloss for the eyes and satin elsewhere.