Saturday, February 14, 2015
Fox in the Ferns
So I started as I usually do, with rag rolling the dark green background. (By the way, the fox is on a separate, small piece of canvas that I glued on later.) Then I started on the ferns. I painted the upper ones first, then moved downwards, and as I did so, I used progressively lighter greens. The most fun were the two unfurled ones. For a final touch, I added a few dark green swirls and dots here and there, though you really can't see them in this photo.
Then it was on to the fox. For a bit of color variety, I added small amounts of turquoise around his head, then blended to light green. I think I got his nose a little long, but he looks pretty good all in all. I used matte medium as the "glue" to attach him to the background piece, then finished it with three coats of satin varnish. The other side is just the plain, rag-rolled green texture, but also finished with three coats of varnish.