Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Another Repair for the Donkey

 

I had the donkey all sculpted and was texturing her when the leg snapped in two!  When I was sculpting, I got this leg a bit too long so took a slice out of the middle then put it back together again.  But apparently that seam wasn't sealed well enough.

 
To repair it, I used a trick my friend Cathy told me about.  In the past, I've tried to repair these types of breaks by dampening the broken ends and then using slip.  But it never holds.  Cathy's trick is to use a mixture of slip and white glue in equal portions.  So that's what I did and it holds!

 
 
But try as I might, I couldn't disguise the break.  I imagine that's the fault of my sculpting skills and not the "glue."  I did, however, notice that once the glue is dry it is much harder than the surrounding dry clay, so texturing or smoothing with a wire tool is nearly impossible.  The lesson is, therefore, don't break stuff!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment