Monday, December 4, 2017

The Old Way and the New Way


My watercolor palette has served me well.  Not so many color wells, but quite enough.  From this many colors I found I could mix about anything.  And plenty of mixing space too.

But ever since taking an online class from Danielle Donaldson I've been fascinated by watercolor palettes from Robax engineering.  This engineering company somehow got into making watercolor palettes based on design ideas from various artists.  I've been scrutinizing them for over six months now and finally took the plunge.


The one I was initially interested in had wells for 85 colors!  But after using my old palette for a while I realized that so many colors sitting in front of me would just be confusing and in the end I got this one with 19 paint wells.  It's 12 inches in diameter.

The super cool thing though, is that you can buy liners for the wells (which I did) which allows you to easily switch out colors!

These are the colors I chose (all Daniel Smith):

New Gamboge
Quinacridone Gold
Quinacridone Sienna
Quinacridone Burnt Scarlet
English Red Ochre
Quinacridone Rose
Burnt Umber
Sepia
Permanent Brown
Rose of Ultramarine
Indancrone Blue
Indigo
Imperial Purple
Deep Sap Greem
Terre Verte
Hooker's Green
Sap Green
Phthalo Green Blue Shade
Prussian Green

- not necessarily an orthodox selection, but I really like these colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment