Wednesday, December 27, 2017

The Polar Bear is Finished


With arctic blue absolutely everywhere, sometimes a girl just craves a bit or pink!


And Tasha got it in this beautiful cashmere hand embroidered and beaded cape.


Doesn't she look beautiful?  With all that thick fur, she doesn't need the cape for warmth.  It's purely a fashion statement.


So I finished felting my polar bear, then, although I thought she was very cute, I asked myself what I could do to make her special and this is what I came up with.  I bought a grab bag of wet felted cashmere sweater parts on Etsy, then used them to make this "crazy quilt" style cape.  I lined it with a scrap of reclaimed white satin.  I joined the cashmere pieces with feather stitch using 2 strands of DMC cotton embroidery thread, then added the hex-cut crystal seed beads.  The cape closes with a thread loop over a vintage glass button.  The final touch was the beaded fringe.

This cape took many hours to make, but I think it was worth it.  What I have here is a totally unique piece that I will put in my Etsy shop and hope that Tasha finds a home with someone who loves her as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment