Thursday, February 22, 2018

A Postcard From Paradise


A while ago I got the idea to do a series of small collages, Postcards from Paradise.  This is the first one I did and it's approximately 4" x 6".  The mail element is the little painting I did of a chipping sparrow.  Other elements include bits of paper napkins (the black and white images in the upper right, lower right, and lower left corners), the white branch of leaves from a stencil I made, the 5 flying black birds which is an image transfer from a fragment of an ad I tore from a magazine, and the writing that I did on a piece of wax paper saying "little bird, how sweet is thy song."  I thoroughly enjoy doing collage, but I like it best when the main elements are my creations.  So, I'm happy with this little piece,

With one exception!  I created it on a piece of 1/8" hardboard, which is all well and good, but the particular piece of hardboard that I bought and cut has a very rough back which doesn't lend itself to finishing nicely.  In the future, I need to remember to consider the back!  
After all, quality finishing is a sign of a quality piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment