Sunday, April 10, 2011

Monkey Bits

I had been ambivalent about entering the Bead Dreams Competitiion this year.

I was fortunate to be a finalist in both 2008 and 2010.  In 2008, Kalmbach did a beautiful special section on the finalist pieces in their October issue of Bead and Button magazine.  But in 2010 there was nothing - not even a certificate - and it irritated me.  Being a finalist was quite an honor, especially in 2010 where there were only 5 finalists in each category as opposed to 10 in 2008.  Being a finalist in this competition is a big deal to artists and I think they should shown more appreciatiion to the artists.

So I was a little soured on the whole thing.  Plus, I had a lot of work to do on the Society of Animal Artist applications and both had the same due date of April 15.  A piece for Bead Dreams went on the back burner.

But now that the application paintings are done I find that there's time for Bead Dreams after all.  I've known for quite some time that I wanted to make a piece with monkeys, and also that I wanted to do something that required a little engineering.

Anyway, here are some of the pieces.  The necklace part will be a series of gold pieces with green leaves that nest together.  The rest will be an assemblage of many parts, most of which are in the picture.  But I may need to make more, depending on how things shape up.  As usual, I'm not doing much planning ahead of time - just letting the piece take shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment