Sunday, April 3, 2011
Nearing the Finish Line
Today I darkened the spaces in the background and glazed over some of the leaves to hopefully create more depth in the foliage. I used dark green as well as maroon and dark brown as complements darken. It also seemed important to add some foliage in the foreground and I wish I had thought of this in the beginning because at this point the pastel was pretty thick and my new additions didn't cover as well as I wish they had. So here's a lesson hopefully learned - be sure there is a foreground, middle ground, and background and if there isn't have a good reason for it.
One plus about the foreground foliage is that it partially hides the tails and I was thinking that the curve in the right monkey's tail was a bit awkward. It would have been hard to change that - so just cover it up!
Shelley suggested that I need more modelling in the monkies, so I did that, mostly with glazes. And I added white hairs with a sharp Nupastel.
Tomorrow I'm going to try to deepen the pigment on the foreground leaves, including strengthening the value contrast in that area.