Monday, March 26, 2012
The Belly Fur Begins to Emerge
Yesterday I really screwed up with the masking fluid. I laid a thick line of it down along the right edge of the belly hairs so that I could work on the dark areas of the left shoulder and leg. But then I discovered I had created a problem for myself when I prepared to work on the belly fur - I didn't want the masking action of that thick line and I couldn't remove the thick line without also removing the little hairs that it crossed.
In the end, I removed all the masking fluid and just told myself I'd have to figure out a way to make it work. I even called Carel for some advice. He thought I was probably working with the acrylic too thinned down and that with it thicker - and a lot of work - I could make light over dark work out after all. And if not, I could try switching to oil at the very end since it doesn't dry as translucent as acrylic does.
So, onward! And here's where I am now. I find the fur on the back so confusing. So many wisps of belly fur come up over it that it's not clear what the pattern is in the underlying coat. I was definitely struggling, and guessing a lot. But now that I look at the photo of the painting I see some pattern emerging and feel that there is hope after all. Back to it tomorrow!