Saturday, November 17, 2012
Polar Bear Bits Becomes a Polar Bear
The first photo shows the wire armature on the right. And on the left, I've added wraps of plush wool felt and whip-stitched them in place.
After covering both sides with the felt, I began adding the wool. Just as I anticipated, the wool stuck much better to the wool felt than it did to the acrylic felt I used on the armature of the reindeer. So from now on, I'll use this plush wool felt over any armature I'm going to needle-felt over.
The second picture shows her completely needle-felted. I used a less expensive "core wool" from http://www.livingfelt.com for most of her. But I used Merino around the neck, wrists, and ankles because it's closer in color to the polymer clay.
My next step will be to dress her. But now that I see how lovely her little bear body is, I kind of hate to cover her up!