Sunday, June 8, 2014

Lots of Stuff in the Kiln

Yesterday I wrote that I had been in a sculpting frenzy, and here's some of the evidence.  You're looking down into my kiln before I close the lid for firing.  And you're seeing the top of two shelves that are filled with greenware ready for their bisque firing.  The bottom shelf, which isn't visible in the photo, is entirely occupied by a single piece - a large shallow bowl that is intended as a centerpiece in which one would float candles.

I was a bit hesitant to fire tonight because the most recent piece was only finished three days ago.  But I work thin, and the house has been very warm, around 80 degrees.  And all the pieces felt warm to the touch, so here's hoping for a successful outcome.  For those of you who aren't familiar with firing greenware, the problem is that if all the water isn't dried out of the clay the piece will crack (best case) or explode (worst case as it can ruin other pieces in the kiln).

Today I sculpted two little stoneware dragons then put all my clay stuff away for a while.  It's time for drawing -- or painting -- or beading.......

No comments:

Post a Comment