Sunday, August 10, 2014

Rabbits and Roses

 
I've been making these small rabbits for my Etsy shop.  The first one I listed - the one at the right in the top picture - sold pretty much as soon as I listed her.  They're really a joy to make, althoughtthey're not so simple as they may look.
 
Even though they're small - 3" to the top of the head - I've built them over an armature.  I did that for a couple of reasons.  First, I wanted them to be posable, although the posing options are quite a bit less than for my large gray needle felted rabbit.  But also, the armature guides me as I sculpt.  So if I start out with a good armature I'm likely to get the shape I'm aiming for, and it's repeatable.
 
The jury's still out on the whiskers.  Mostly I used 4lb weight Fireline which is a nylon beading thread.  The stiffness is just right, but it's a little thin.  So for the Dutch rabbit and the brown rabbit below, I switched to a #1 Tuff Cord that I got at http://www.beadshop.com.  I'm thinking it might be a bit thick, but I like the feel of it.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment