Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Golden Inspiration



Last weekend, Tesia Blackburn, who is a Practicing Artist with Golden Paints, came to our art club, Placerville Arts Association, and gave both a free lecture on Golden mixed- and water-media products as well as full day workshop with those products.  I went to both.  This is the piece I did in the workshop.

It's collage and painting on an 11'x14' canvas board.  The large golden rectangle is actually aluminum foil adhered to the board with Soft Gel.  The other collage elements are also adhered with Soft Get.  I used glass bead gel and also modeling paste in the blue areas on either side of the foil rectangle.

I incised words and designs on the foil with the end of my brush, then painted over the foil with washes of Fluid Acrylics.  I was hoping that the paint would pool in the incised areas and be darker there, but I couldn't get that to work.  In the end, I painted the incised lines with Van Dyck Brown fluid acrylic and a liner brush.  The most fun I had was highlignting the backs of some of the sheep with white fluid acrylic.  But the whole thing was really a lot of fun.

I usually use Liquitex Mat Medium for "gluing" down my collage piece.  The golden gel we used is gloss.  I'm not sure which I like better.

No comments:

Post a Comment