Saturday, May 28, 2016

An Exercise in Perseverance

It has been quite a marathon of patience and endurance to get this far with this piece.  It began with an inspiration from an article in "Cloth, Paper, Scissors" magazine by, I believe, Leslie Verugo.  She made stamps with Doug and Melissa's Scratch Foam and then made art from the prints.

I began by doing nine little (4" x 4") drawings of birds.  I then traced each of the birds and transferred one of them to the Scratch Foam.  I painted a piece of Strathmore mixed media paper with black gesso, then painted over the scratch foam with white acrylic and tried to make a print.  It didn't work. I think the problem was that the paint was too thin.  I used soft body acrylic, and the paint got into the scratched lines.

As I pondered the problem, I traced the rest of the drawings, then made another scratch foam stamp.  This time, I painted over the stamp with regular tube acrylics but, once again, the stamp didn't work because the paint got into some of the lines.  Perhaps I should have used a brayer to "ink" the stamp instead of a brush,

No comments:

Post a Comment