Monday, May 30, 2016

Perserverance continued

So I had nine little drawings and a tracing of each one and was wondering what to do with them.  I decided that I wanted to save the drawings, but would use the tracings to make a composition.  I cut a piece of 1/4" thick hardboard the right size to lay out all the tracings with 1/4" between them and 1" all around the edges.  I added a background with Golden fluid acrylics, choosing Phthalo Blue, Phthalo Green, and Sap Green.

I sprayed both sides of the tracings with workable fixative because I was afraid that they would wrinkle otherwise when I adhered them to the board.  I used acrylic mat medium to stick them to the board.  The background colors showed through nicely, as planned, but - not as planned - the tracing paper wrinkled badly and didn't flatted out when the medium dried.

At this point I was - once again - stuck.  I knew I wouldn't be able to paint over all those wrinkles.  So I decided to use colored pencil.  So the pencil would stick, I sprayed the piece with workable fixative, then proceeded with colored pencil and ink.  With the colored pencil, the colors were all muted because specks of the background showed through everywhere.  Nonetheless, it was sort of an interesting effect.

To finish the piece, I added some painted decorative details in the frame area.  I used metallic paints - gold, silver, and turquoise  - as well a opaque light turquoise dots.

I may use this as the top of a small table with glass over it for protection.




No comments:

Post a Comment