Friday, February 18, 2011

My Very Own Cake Shoppe

 
Last week, before I started working on the lamb pastel painting, I didn't have any blog entries.  I wasn't idle - I just wasn't working on what I supposed to be working on.  Here's what was occupying my attention - making miniature polymer clay cakes.

Each cake is about 1 3/4" in diameter.  The colors are the color of the clay.  The only thing in the cakes that isn't clay are the stems on the strawberries and cherries, which are wire.  The little plates, with the exception of the pink glass plate which is an American Doll accessory, are actually vintage butter pats which I had fun finding in local antique stores or on ebay.

The most fun thing was making the tiny decorations.  The lemon, lime, and kiwi slices are tiny cane slices, about 1/4" across.  The piped frosting was fun too.  After the first few cakes (the bright pink cake, the cake with the chocolate frosting and pecans, and the cake with the "piped" chocolate icing trim and the cherries) I developed a better way to do the frosting trim that actually looks like frosting piped through a star-shaped tip.

My original plan was to make charm bracelets, earrings, and pendants from the individual cake slices, so I cut each cake before I cured it.  But then I liked looking at the cakes so much that I haven't yet done anything with the slices.

As I was varnishing the cured cake slices, my mouth was watering just thinking about enjoying a piece of citrus cake or pineapple upside down cake, or whatever one I was working on at the time.  So I was inspired to make a real cake for Valentine's Day.  Here it is!  Not nearly as pretty as the little polymer clay ones, but a whole lot tastier - a yellow cake with lemon curd filling and buttercream frosting made with real butter!  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment