Saturday, March 5, 2011

Back To It With Red

The other day I began to work on my fourth painting for my Society of Animal Artists application by doing the drawing for this portrait of my daughter's cat Red.  I took this photo of the cutie relaxing on the guest bed with a patchwork pillow behind her and a crocheted throw under her.

Yesterday I spent most of the day at the El Dorado Arts Council Art Space for the take-down of the 3D show.  I knew it could be a while between times when the artists came by, so I brought this to get started on and managed to get the first layer over most of it.
 
Then today I continued, concentrating on the face and front paws.  At this stage, I'm working with mostly hard pastel, NuPastel and Faber Castell pastels, but also a bit with pastel pencils.  This piece is different from the others because there is more in the background.  The pillow and throw will really be a challenge.  And the cat is a challenge as well, especially the colors.  Red is a "dilute tabby," a gray tabby but in pastel colors - warm greys and tans.  There is a lot going on in the fur on her tummy with swirls and tufts, but mostly in soft pale colors.

This piece is going to be fun and a whole lot of work.  If I can pull it off, I'll be happy!

Of the four pieces I have begun thus far, I find that I prefer working from my own photos (Rudy, Sparkle, and Red).  My camera gives really good images, but I think more than that it's because I know these animals and my connection with them seems to make a difference in the way I paint them.  Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment