Saturday, July 2, 2011

Keep Working!

The best advice I had for myself after yesterday's painting session was "keep working."  So that's what I did, and here's where I am now.

I still don't know where I'm going with the rest of the background.  My original idea of having it very dark - in deep shadow with little detail - has a serious problem.  If I make the background too dark, I'll loose the edges on Bonnie's right ear, her neck, back, and tail.  Lost edges, of course, aren't a problem in general.  But in this case they would be because the shape of the cat might very well be lost.  But, on the positive side, the front of her face would be greatly highlighted. 

I suppose I could "creep up on it," starting with a medium tone and going from there.  Or, a trick of the trade would be to cut a black piece of paper in the appropriate shape and see how it looks.  It suddenly occurs to me that I could try that with Fireworks.

It was pretty easy to use Fireworks to color in the background, and from that exercise, I see that I can actually go quite dark - darker than I probably need to go - and not lose the cat, especially with a little reflected light along the back, neck, and ear edges.

I'll put it up by the TV tonight and take a good look it over a period of a few hourse and see what inspiration strikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment