Friday, August 9, 2013

A Literary Parrot


I was showing my daughter how to make the canvas covered journals and made this one.  I used her paints which are the tube acrylics rather than the soft body ones I usually paint with.   I followed my usual procedure, rag-rolling a couple of layers for the background then painting in the details - a rough suggestion of tropical foliage.  I then turned to the varnish, brushing it on then smoothing it with back-and-forth brush strokes.

I wasn't paying that much attention to what I was doing, but when I did look a bit more closely at my canvas I realized that my brush strokes with the varnish were actually lifting paint - yikes!

My daughter suggested that I was achieving a nice, if unintended, aged look, almost as though the years and the blowing sand from the nearby imagined beach had picked away at the painting.  With nothing I could do to repair the damage, I decided I liked the look.

But the lesson was clear - don't rush it!  Let the paint layers dry.  I tend to be a bit impatient, and this time the thicker paint was not so forgiving - and not so fast-drying - as the soft body.  Lesson learned?  I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment