Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Never Too Many Owls

 
 
Last summer when I went to the NIADA conference, I took a wonderful workshop from Connie Smith on sculpting animal doll heads in stoneware.  For the class, she made a little set of sculpting tools for each of her students.  She made them by whittling bamboo chopsticks, and one of those tools is the most useful sculpting tool I have.  It's like a tiny pointed spoon and I use it to form eyes, among many other things - such as the "tile" roof on my fairy garden house.
 
On this piece I used it for the smaller feathers you see on the forehead and upper wings.  But what I really need is a variation on that tool.  Instead of pressing in on the feather tips, I need the tool to press into the "v" shaped space between the feathers.  In fact, a variety of sizes would be useful.  So I guess I'd better get out for Chinese food and bring home some chopsticks!
 
This is supposed to be a druid owl, complete with leafy chaplet and the celtic cross on his chest.  When I started to tackle making the celtic cross I expected it to be really difficult, but it went surprisingly smoothly.
 
This is no particular species of owl, but is loosely modeled on the burrowing owl which, unfortunately, I don't think is an inhabitant of traditionally celtic lands.
 
All the details were the most enjoyable part of this piece.  Now I'm contemplating how to glaze him.

2 comments:

  1. How adorable! He is one wise owl, isn't he? I found your page through amazon, because I checked out your Drawing Birds in colored pencils book from my library. Your art is truly wonderful and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cyndi,
    Glazing him is going to be a real challenge. Should be done in a few days then I'll post the results. Thanks for checking our my drawing birds book.
    Kaaren

    ReplyDelete