Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Blue Crows


This is a very unusual painting for me.  I painted the border and the center part about a month ago as part of a program for my local art group, Placerville Art Association.  Pen Slade brought a photo she had taken and four of us volunteers painted from that photo during the meeting.

It was a challenge for me because I'm not a landscape painter and I knew that the photo would be a landscape.  I just looked for blocks of color and took it from there.  As I looked at it over the past few weeks, I determined to not do any more work on the central landscape.  As I continued to look at it, I imagined blue crows in that landscape so I did these silouhettes in a medium/dark blue.  My intention was to add some detail to the crows with glazes of Indigo to develop form and a suggestion of the main body, wing, and tail shapes.

But my sister declared the painting "finished" when she saw it this morning.  And since I don't think she's ever said that about any of my other paintings, I decided to honor her opinion.  It's finished!

I do like the use of color in this painting and my departure from "natural" color.  Perhaps I'll do more.

No comments:

Post a Comment