Sunday, December 10, 2017

Finished Barn Owl watercolor


Here's the finished Barn Owl painting.  I continue to enjoy this decorative motif-based style.  It's the only way, so far, that I've been able to make much sense of watercolor painting.  That may be because I like to use transparent colors only and no masking fluid.  Those choices make things a bit difficult with having to paint one object around, rather than over, another (unless you don't mind the first one peeking through the second one!).

This painting is different from my others in that I put in a fading wash around the edges.  I like it.  I also used one of Daniel Smith's duochrome watercolors around the owl's head giving a bit of a halo effect.  I love using metallics, even though it means that prints are not feasible.

As for my new palette, I like it very much and recommend it.  But there is one thing I would change.  For me, the paint wells are too deep.  When I have the palette on the table beside the painting-in-progress, I can't see into the paint wells.  I need to put the palette on a lower side table to see the paint colors very well.  I'm going to pass that comment on to Robax Engineering, the manufacturer of these wonderful paint palettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment