Monday, June 27, 2016

Burdz in Niches


"Cloth, Paper, Scissors" magazine is having a mixed media competition and I decided to enter.  I spent several hours over a few days deciding what my project would be, and I decided on "burdz in niches."

A few years ago I enjoyed making a series of small birds from paper clay with rusted wire legs and feet.  I decorated them with painting and collage and was quite happy with the results.  They've sat in my display cabinet ever since.  But now there's going to star in their very own mixed media display.  My intent is to make a display piece for them which will be decorated with mixed media, and that they and their display will form a single piece of mixed media art.

I made the base from 1/4" hardboard on the front and back, and 3/4" pine on the sides, top and bottom (except the top isn't connected yet).  I cut arches out of the front piece of hardboard and cut corresponding individual arches to glue on the back piece.  I could then glue in hardboard floors for the niches and create the rounded walls with three layers of heavy Strathmore mixed media paper which I applied layer by layer, gluing the new layer over the old with Liquitex Matte Gel Medium.


Here are the birds - I call them my "Burdz" - trying out their niches in the new construction.  The Burdz are, clockwise from upper left, Raspberry, Melon, Kiwi, and Blueberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment