Monday, March 5, 2012

A Tuscon Portrait

 When I visited Tuscon last October I was captivated by civets.  Also called ring-tail cats (not to be confused with ring-tail lemurs), they are engaging little raccoon relatives.  When I returned, I decided to sculpt one at our local bead shop Clay Play Day.  Then the project just grew from there - into a southwest scene, complete with civets, branches, brambles, cactus, and a flock of little birds.  I meant the birds to be cactus wrens, but they are awfully small to be identifiable.  Nonetheless, I tried to accurately portray their shapes in hopes that someone might actually recognize them!

I enjoyed all aspects of this project - the design, the sculpting, and the beading.  The coralling technique that I used for the branch dangles is one of my favorite beading techniques.

Surprisingly, even with the branch on the left protruding towards the interior of the necklace, it fits rather nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment