Friday, March 16, 2012

Winston

I finally finished this little commissioned portrait of a beloved canine - Winston.  The woman who commissioned it saw my series of nine dogs in our club's show and wanted a portrait of her dog in the same style.  I'm happy to have done this painting because the money I receive from it will become a donation to the local animal shelter and it always feels good to help the animals.  But also, it was just fun painting this fine looking dog and an opportunity to continue working on my mixed media technique based on graphite.

I began the piece with a graphite drawing.  After "fixing" it, I added several washes of light body acrylics over the dog, then turned to the background, which is colored pencil blended with solvent.  The finishing touch is a "finger edge" of iridescent bronze acrylic.

I hope Winston's mom will be pleased!

No comments:

Post a Comment