Monday, December 31, 2012

It's Been a Good Art Year

Overall it's been a good art year for me.  (But then, any year that's filled with art would be!)  There have been successes and disappointments, enjoying new techniques, and returning to old ones.  And through it all, there have been those happy get-togethers with my art friends.

I was thrilled to have a piece accepted into the prestigious Bead and Button Show - my third piece to have been accepted in four tries!  I was planning to travel to Milwaukee to see the show but last-minute problems with my house stopped those plans dead in their track!  One of my gourds go an Award of Excellend in Placerville Arts Association's Mother Lode Show and I also won several awards in the member shows.  And most exciting of all, I completed four murals for the county fair Agriculture building in Bloosburg PA and took a trip there to see them installed.  The highlights were meeting new friends Dave and Sharon and seeing Alan Jackson's concert at the fair.  I even got to go backstage for  "Meet and Greet" with the country music super-star.  I didn't know I was capable of such excitement!

On the disappointment side, my book proposal "You Can! Sculpt Animals in Polymer Clay" was rejected by Kalmbach Publishers.  They were quite complimentary about the work but didn't think there was a market.  I wonder if that will end my wishful thinking about publishing another book, or if I'll follow a different publishing path?

Of course, making Art Dolls has been a great new adventure for me.  And I would say I'm firmly sucked in!  Strangely (or maybe not) I find myself returning to some old techniques for me, such as sewing, knitting, and crocheting, in completing these pieces.  I really like hand sewing.  It's so relaxing.  Though I know that though may not be "normal!"

And I always find myself returning to drawing which, I suspect, may be my favorite medium of all.

Thanks to my sister, daughter, and son-in-law who have encouraged and supported me so much, and to all my art friends whose comradery means the world!

So 2012 comes to a happy close and I look forward to a new art year...

No comments:

Post a Comment