Monday, March 10, 2014

Squirrel Shaman

There are a lot of unfinished projects in the form of greenware and bisque building up around here.  That's because the past three weeks have been difficult and sad.  My dear cat, Starbuck, who is only 6 years old, is dying of liver and pancreatic cancer.  Of course he is my number one priority, but I do take time to do some art and I always seem to choose working with clay.  My sister, who is an MFT, says that clay is the most comforting medium to work with and I guess I'd have to say that that's true.

A few days ago I made this little squirrel shaman.  His cloak is imprinted with leaves and sculpted leaves form the epaulettes and stand-up collar.  I've poked a few holes in the cloak for beading later.  And his left paw is curled so he can hold a staff.  He's just under 6" tall.  The time I spend working on him was a welcome respite from sorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment