Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Scroll Work in Clay

 
I have been inspired to do these little wall plaques with Christian themes, and there will be more in the future.  This one is about that admonition, that I find so challenging,  to value the goats as I value the sheep.  Of course I'm talking about the metaphor because it's no problem to admire both real sheep and real goats!  It's the human "goats" (no offense, real goats!) that are the problem.
 
Anyway, I have inscribed a Latin phrase on this plaque - "Omnia cara in oculi Dei," or, "all are dear in the eyes of God."
 
Sculpting the little sheep and goat heads was fun and no problem.  But how to design the plaque?  I thought the effect was a bit architectural, so I decided to add sculpted scrolls.  They weren't difficult at all to sculpt.  The difficulty came in with the glazing.  Painting neatly around them was very tricky!  But I persevered, and like the result.
 
The lavender glaze in the background is a Mayco Elements glaze, and I really like the mottled effect they give.
 
By the way, there are little violets from my yard in the photo because I wanted to give an idea of the size of the plaque.  This is one of the photos of it that I used in my listing in my Etsy shop, TheFoxesGarden,

No comments:

Post a Comment