Monday, December 7, 2015

The First Finished Snowflake Rabbit

 I have now glazed and finished the first of my five snowflake rabbits.  I used this one for our art club's art exchange at our Christmas party and I think that Debra, the lady who received it, truly liked it.

I used a crystalline glaze but wasn't thrilled with the results.  I think I may have put it on a bit too thickly because I didn't expect the melting crystals to run as much as they did.  They didn't do that on the sample chip I made but the sample chip was fired flat whereas this surface was closer to vertical in the kiln.
Anyway, after firing, the finishing touches were the Swarovski crystals. 

I attached the large hanging one by threading a looped ribbon through the hole I had put downwards through the top of the head.  A 3/8" wooden bead threaded with the ribbon - along with glue around the bead - holds it in place inside the cone shape of the robe.  I then simply tied the crystal snowflake pendant to one end of the ribbon and cut the other end off.

I used E6000 glue to attach the tiny crystals on the robe.  All in all, a success I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment