Friday, March 23, 2018

Another Rat


Here's the next rat I did.  This time I was sure to use Strathmore Mixed Media paper.  I began with a line drawing with very little detail then immediately began adding watercolor washes - not too much because a lot of the shading would be done in pencil.


Next I added pencil work - quite a bit, actually - then strengthened and enriched the colors with more washes.  By the way, these first two photos are from my camera.


Finally I continued with more pencil and more washes until I felt I was done.  This third image, by the way, is a scan.  To me, it seems to have more contrast and saturation than the original, but I didn't mess with any settings or do anything in Photoshop other than crop, so this is what the scanner "saw."

As far as comparing the two rats so far - this one on the Strathmore Mixed Media paper and the first one (earlier post) on Stonehenge drawing paper, the two differences I noticed are that the drawing paper seems to have more texture so the pencil work is stronger.  On the other hand, the mixed media paper holds up so well with the washes.  Another thing to try would be Strathmore Illustration board, which I may do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment