Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Postcards from Fantasy Land


Next week I'm going to a local day-long conference for writers and illustrators of childrens' books and although I don't have anything finished I wanted to have something to put on the writers'/illustrators' table, so I decided to make promo cards - two of them, one for each of the books I'm working on.

This first one is for "The Christmas Feast."  Below is the pencil drawing I started with and the finished color version is above.  

Actually, the first step was a pencil sketch.  From that, once I was happy with it, I traced and transferred it to a piece of Strathmore Mixed Media paper and then did the detailed drawing you see below.

From there, I added color.  I was dreading the background because I find smooth color to be difficult with transparent paints.  By the way, I used Golden Fluid Acrylics.  I did, however, discover that even though the first coat may not look too good, it seals the paper and makes subsequent coats go on more evenly.  So, I try to keep my first washes light.


No comments:

Post a Comment