Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Whoops!


Here's the color version of the rat drawing.  When I got out the watercolors I was horrified to realize that I had done the drawing on Stonehenge drawing paper instead of Strathmore Mixed Media paper.  Nothing against Stonehenge drawing paper - in fact I like it very much for drawing - but I wanted to be able to add water media and didn't think it would work.

But I tried it anyway.  The paper buckled a bit but flattened back out when it dried and the buckling wasn't bad enough to make it difficult to paint.  It also seemed that the pencil lines were dissolving more than I expected them to.  As a result, I did very little painting.  In the end, I added a bit more pencil but it hardly showed up.  Also, I used white acrylic ink and a crow quill pen for white highlights, but they didn't show up very much.

This image is a scan.  There appears to be more contrast in  the scan than in the original but I don't know why.  I didn't touch up the image at all.

I started another rat drawing - this time definitely on the Mixed Media paper.  I'll do the drawing first, as in this one.  Then I may try one where I do only the outline drawing, then the watercolor washes, then the finished pencil work.  We'll see which works out best.

No comments:

Post a Comment