Thursday, January 4, 2018

"Heart of the Forest" Fawn


I'm continuing to work on my watercolor skills through these small decorative paintings.  I saw an article about a watercolorist whose work I liked very much and e-mailed her asking, in general, about her technique.  I'm sad to say that she didn't write me back, but by looking very carefully at her work I thought maybe she began with washes then dry-brushed the details.  Anyway, that's what I tried on the fawn.  I think it worked fairly well, so I'll continue to practice that technique and see what more I can do.


There are a few other things I'm starting to do, like put some washes of color in the background.  I know that painting the floral motifs over them will not be "clean" as the washes will show through, but I'm OK with that.  Also, I've overlapped the motifs in a few places and I'*m OK with that also.  The other thing is that I added a very light color wash to the background behind areas where the fawn is white.

The heart is cut from a piece of watercolor paper (Strathmore Mixed Media paper, actually, which is what I like to paint on with watercolor) that I slap-dashed some paint on, letting the colors run into each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment